Thursday, December 11, 2014

Slow Cooker ham & Scalloped potatoes& Green beans and dessert!!




I love Pinterest!!  I am always looking up new recipes.  I recently found a pin about "best Ham ever" so last night when I found Ham's on sale at Winco, I thought sure I will try it.   This is the pin I found it on.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/914862400535152/
and the link:  http://www.tammileetips.com/2013/03/crock-pot-ham/
So Mine was a 12 pound ham, and I have a 6 quart Crock pot.  So I 
cut the ham into thirds.  1 third went into the crock.  1 third I cubed for corn and potato/ham chowder and froze, and the last third I sliced into ham steaks and froze for those nights we want breakfast for dinner.  I don't think we will eat the whole third tonight, so I will slice leftovers and make Ham and pineapple sandwiches.  http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2014/03/slow-cooker-ham-and-pineapple-sandwich-recipe.html  Also from Pinterest.

So it produced a lot of liquid.  So I just transferred most of the liquid to a saucepan on the stove and I am cooking it down, so its more a glaze.

We LOVE  Idahoan Steakhouse Scalloped potatoes, and I got them at Winco for $1.25 a box.  I know that home made is best, but I tend a 2 1/2 year old, 5 days a week, and my 18 month old 24/7 .  I have a home to keep up, and I am in charge of the children in our congregation.  In the LDS faith I am the Primary President.  So I am pretty busy!!  Plus making home made scalloped potatoes for two adults and a toddler seems like a waste of time!!  
So we are having glazed ham with pineapple and scalloped potatoes and baby  "M"s  favorite Green beans.

Chocolate peanut butter cookies for dessert!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ham
Ingredients
7 pound ham- ( mine was closer to 4 pounds)-----------------------------4.25
2 cups pineapple juice (Me- 1 1/2 cups of pineapple plus the pineapple)- .98 cents
1 cup brown sugar( I just smeared brown sugar all over my ham, I didn't measure) .25 cents
1/2 cup maple syrup( about 1/3 cup for me)- .25 cents

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                           Total- 5.73 for the whole thing- 
I am guessing 8 servings---------------------------------.71 cents a serving.
Directions
1. Unwrap ham and place in the Crock-Pot
2. Rub ham with brown sugar on all sides.
3. Pour pineapple juice and maple syrup over the ham
4. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on low.
5. Remove liquid to saucepan and cook down till a thicker syrup.  Pour over sliced ham in slow cooker.


----------------------------------------------------------------
Steak house potatoes-  made as instructed on box --$1.25
1/2 cup milk  -----------.50 cents
2 TBS butter------------.30 cents
water--------------------Free for me
-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                                             total $2.05 for whole box
                                      In our house- 6 servings- .34 cents a serving
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green beans and butter .  58 cents canned green beans
                              1 TBS Butter- .15 cents
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total- .73 cents- in our house 3 servings- baby "M" LOVES green beans!!! .24 cents per serving
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chocolate peanut butter cookies
1 cup Peanut butter- 1.50
1 cup sugar- .35 cents
1 egg-.10 cents
2 TBS Hershey's cocoa- .20 cents
2 TBS brown sugar- .10 cents
splash of vanilla- .05 cents

Combine all ingredients.  Chill for at least a hour- bake at 350 F for about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven.  Let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes to set.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$2.30 for 24 cookies- .09 cents a cookie
Baby "M" will eat 1, Hubby and I will eat 2 each so 8 servings.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total for dinner per person- 1.74 a person!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment