Thursday, December 4, 2014

 

My Dad's Fried Rice recipe

I  have been doing a lot of Family History research in my "Me" time in the last few weeks.  I found a line on my Fathers side that I have been struggling with for years!!  Last night I printed out some names to get ready for the Temple.  It got me thinking a lot about my dad.  When I was a little girl he served in Thailand during the Vietnam war.  He brought home a beautiful carved jewelery box for my mom and a mini one for me.  He also brought me a cat bank carved out of a coconut.  I still have both of them.
He also brought home his own version of a Thai Fried rice that he made a lot for our family.   I have heard that most Thai food is spicy and this probably should be, but he wasn't into spicy, and Berrett and I aren't either, so I make it with more savory flavors.  I made it for dinner today.

1 LB  of beef stew, or cubed pork or cubed boneless chicken ( I used beef)- $3.50
1 packet of your favorite "Grill mates" Marinade (I used  Garlic, Herb and wine)-.65 cents
Ingredients called for in marinade-.50 cents
2 TBS soy sauce-.10 cents
1/2 onion diced.- 07 cents
1 bell pepper diced-.89 cents
1 to 2 TBS diced and crushed garlic-.30 cents

Mix up your marinade, adding the soy sauce and the onions, peppers and garlic.  Cover and refrigerate for at least a hour, no longer then 4 hours.

1 1/2 cups of rice-.50 cents
about a 1/2 cup of spaghetti broken into small pieces.25 cents
1 TBS oil-.25 cents
1 TBS butter.30 cents
3 1/2 cups of hot water-free
2 to 3 chicken bouillon cubes..09 cents

Heat oil and butter in large dutch oven or heavy saucepan.  Add rice and noodles, browning lightly.  When rice is golden, add hot water, and bouillon.  Bring to boil, cover and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes till cooked through.

Meat and marinade
1/2 TBS oil or more as needed-.11 cents
1 can of mushrooms drained well-.45 cents
3 to 5 eggs beaten-.75 cents
sliced cucumbers-1.00

In large Fry pan or Wok, heat oil.  Pan should be hot!! Add meat, marinade and all!! Keep stir frying until meat and vegetables are cooked through.  Add mushrooms, stir until mushrooms are heated through.  If you use fresh mushrooms, its about a cup and cook with the meat from the beginning.  Add meat to cooked rice mixture draining off excess grease.   Leaving about a TBS of oil in pan, scramble eggs on low heat.  Add to rice. Serve each plate with sliced cucumbers over top of mixture.
You could serve with a hot sauce of your choice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 total-  9.71
Servings-10
about .97 cents a serving

No comments:

Post a Comment