Sunday, June 14, 2015

Goulash...another desperation dinner

We had a crazy Saturday and didn't make it to the grocery store like we planned.  So I am pantry cooking tonight.  I looked over the ingredients  I had available and thought I would attempt a goulash of sorts.  My mom who never liked to cook would attempt this when I was a kid. She would cook hamburger, throw in macaroni, a can of tomato soup and some canned corn.  No seasonings.... I hated it!

So I am going to give it a go and see if I can change my attitude about goulash.

1 pound ground turkey   $3.28
8 Oz macaroni.  .33 cents
season salt.........03 cents
black pepper.....03 cents
paprika........04 cents
1 can Manwhich .89 cents
1 can green beans drained...45 cents
3 or 4 sprinkles of that powdered parmesan..05 cents

Brown ground turkey in a scant amount of oil, season meat with all the seasonings. Cook till brown, remove from pan.  Add macaroni to hot pan and cover with water.  Cook on medium high, but don't walk away.  You may need to add a 1/2 cup of water or 2 if it cooks off too quickly.  Cooking pasta this way leaves a slight sauce on the pasta that helps it stick to whatever sauce you pour over it.  You have to keep stirring so it doesn't stick. After about 10 minutes lower the heat and cook it a minute or two longer stirring constantly till most of the liquid is gone.  Add your cooked meat, manwhich, 1/2 can water and green beans.  Cook till thick and everything is hot.  Taste for seasonings.  Add more as needed.  Sprinkle on parmesan and serve with buttered bread or toast.
___________________________________________________________________
Total   $5.10- served 6,   .85 cents a serving


No comments:

Post a Comment