Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Leftover soup



We enjoyed Thanksgiving at my in-laws yesterday.  As we were cleaning up, my sister in law was picking meat off of the turkey carcass.  I said to my MIL "you should make turkey soup".  She told me she never had!!  She then offered me the turkey carcass to use myself.  We got home last night and I broke up Mr. Turkeys bone's until it all fit in my crock pot,  Covered with cold water, added some bay leaf, pepper,  and Italian seasoning. I usually add some vegetables at this point for extra flavor, but I was too tired.  I cooked on low all night.  
Next, place a strainer with the smallest holes possible over a big empty bowl.  Empty contents of crock through strainer into bowl.  Refrigerate broth until cold.  Discard any fat that has formed on broth.  Let Turkey bones cool and remove any turkey meat.  Discard bones and Bay leaf. 
I was inspired some by this recipe, but I don't intend to make the dumplings, just use leftover stuffing spoonfuls. http://www.katiescucina.com/2013/12/turkey-stuffing-dumpling-soup/

Thanksgiving leftover soup

Turkey stock- (free, except for your time)
4 potatoes diced- .54 cents
4 to 6 carrots diced- .25 cents
1 whole onion diced-.11 cents
4 to 6 stalks of celery diced- .10 cents
3 cloves of garlic diced- .5 cents
1 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups of left over turkey chopped - free for me as I didn't buy the turkey)
Any gravy you have left- (also free)
=============================================
                                     $1.05 for me, but if you paid for turkey, etc.  Probably closer to $6.00 a pot
12 to 14 servings-  .08 cents a serving for me.  closer to .50 cents if you paid for the turkey.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                                                
Cook all the ingredients on low for 6 to 8 hours, High- 5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
If you have leftover stuffing, You can reheat the stuffing and add a couple spoonfuls to your bowl,  Kind of like dumplings. Or skip the potatoes at the beginning and serve soup over reheated left over mashed potatoes!!  Use any leftover vegetables that you have.  You can also add rice or noodles!!





No comments:

Post a Comment