Friday, November 14, 2014

My version of "Grandma's red potatoes, green beans and ham"






 My Grandmother on my dad's side of the family was a great cook!!! She was also good at stretching a dollar to feed her family!!  When I was a Sophomore in High school, we lived near her home.  I would stop in on the way home from school and she would be making dinner.  Grandpa worked a grave yard shift as a security guard and would eat about 4:30 and head into work. She taught me how to cook!! They always had a big garden in the back yard in the summer and I loved the fresh green beans from her garden.  She used to cook them with onion and bacon and a little bit of chicken broth to de-glaze the pan.  I loved it when she would make mashed potatoes and I would always combine a half bite of mashed potatoes with a half bite of beans.   So when I came across this recipe, I decided to honor my grandma's cooking and make it my own.


12 cups of water
8 red potatoes, peeled and cubed= .96 cents
1 whole onion diced- .11cents
1/2 pkg bacon, cut into squares- 2.50
1 pkg diced ham-$3.88
5 cubes chicken bouillon- .35 Cents
1 pkg chicken gravy- .45 cents
2 cans green beans- $1.16
2 to 3 TBS butter- .80 cents
-------------------------------------------
total $10.21- about 10 servings.. $1.02 a serving..
I usually serve it for dinner, same some for lunch the next day and freeze the rest for another day.

directions:
Spray your crock pot with butter spray.  Add water, bouillon, and chicken gravy.  Add diced potatoes.
On stove top, fry bacon.  Drain grease.  Add onions and ham to bacon grease.  Cook on low, till onions are tender.  Add bacon and ham and onion mixture to crock pot.  Cook on low, 6 hours.  Add beans during the last hour of cooking.  Add butter at the end of cooking and serve in bowls.



No comments:

Post a Comment